The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program educates volunteers about disaster preparedness for the hazards that may impact their area and trains them basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. CERT offers a consistent, nationwide approach to volunteer training and organization that professional responders can rely on during disaster situations, which allows them to focus on more complex tasks. Through CERT, the capabilities to prepare for, respond to and recover from disasters is built and enhanced.
The CERT Basic Training provides you with the skills and knowledge needed to survive a disaster. In addition, Lincoln Park CERT also provides assistance to the Lincoln Park Fire Department, the Lincoln Park Police Department, the City of Lincoln Park, Wayne County, and local organizations. Lincoln Park CERT currently offers assistant at the following events:
- Memorial Day Parade by assisting the PD with blocking off streets, and
- Lincoln Park Schools Foundation 5K Run/Walk by assisting the PD with blocking off streets, and
- Lincoln Park Concert’s in the Park by providing minor First Aid and Eyes and Ears for the Lincoln Park PD,
- Lincoln Park Days by providing minor First Aid and Eyes and Ears for the Lincoln Park PD, and
- Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce’s Fantasyland as Eyes and Ears for the Lincoln Park PD.
Also, we may be called out to watch Downed Power lines through out the city, and various other activities. We need people who are willing to able to assist in with these events.
Also, we need people with the following skills:
- Labors, and
- Administrative, and
- Writers, and
- Medical, and
- Trainers, and
The majority of the Hybrid CERT Core Course will be Self-paced, Self-Study, via a third party website.
This course consists of:
- Online CERT Course,
- Two live Zoom sessions where we answer any questions you may have from the training, and
- Hands-on Skills review which is an 1 and 1/2 day of activities to practice what you’ve learned!
CERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens will be initially on their own and their actions can make a difference. Through training, citizens can manage utilities and put out small fires; provide basic medical aid; search for and rescue victims safely; and organize themselves and spontaneous volunteers to be effective.
This course teaches the following skills:
- Disaster Preparedness
- CERT Organization
- Disaster Medical Operations
- Disaster Psychology
- Fire Safety and Utility Controls
- Light Search and Rescue Operations
- Terrorism and CERT
You need to complete the Online CERT Course and the in-person “Skills Day” to receive your certification.
Once you have register for this CERT Hybrid Course and passed the CERT Membership background check, you will be emailed details on how to take the Online CERT Course.
After the training, you may be eligible to join Lincoln Park’s CERT team. The requirements to become a member of Lincoln Park CERT are:
- You are at least 18 years of age, and
- You have a valid Michigan Driver License, and
- You are a resident of Wayne County, Michigan, and
- You have completed a CERT Basic Training course, and
- You pass a basic background check provided by the Lincoln Park Police Department.
The online part of this course is self-paced, and you will be from September 1st to September 30th to complete the online portion. You will be mailed the information once the Lincoln Park PD has ran your background check and approved you for this class.
The in-person part will be one of the week-ends October and based on the current state of the pandemic.