This class is a three day course. Attendance is required for each day to receive the certification.
About this event
Medical, Police, and Fire Department services may not be immediately available following a disaster due to an increased demand for service. Emergency Services may not even be able to reach your location after a serious event. The Federal Emergency Management Administration’s (FEMA) website reminds that electricity, gas, water, and telephones may not be working. FEMA recommends individuals should be prepared to be self-sufficient (able to live without running water, electricity and/or gas, and telephones) for at least three days following a disaster. The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) is a FEMA program which educates community members about disaster preparedness and provides basic disaster response training. CERT-trained individuals can assist others in their family, their neighborhood, and their community until first responders arrive.
Lincoln Park CERT currently assist at the following events:
- Memorial Day Parade by assisting the PD with blocking off streets, and
- Lincoln Park Schools Foundation 5K Run/Walk by assisting the PD with blocking off streets, and
- Lincoln Park Concert’s in the Park by providing minor First Aid and Eyes and Ears for the Lincoln Park PD,
- Lincoln Park Days by providing minor First Aid and Eyes and Ears for the Lincoln Park PD, and
- Lincoln Park Chamber of Commerce’s Fantasyland as Eyes and Ears for the Lincoln Park PD.
- You are at least 18 years of age, and
- You have a valid Michigan Driver License, and
- You are a resident of Wayne County, Michigan, and
- You have completed a CERT Basic Training course, and
- You pass a basic background check provided by the Lincoln Park Police Department.
Learn more about Community Emergency Response Teams at https://www.fema.gov/cert.
Event DetailsThis training will be held May 13th, 14th, and 15th and will consist of Classroom instruction, practical exercise, and a disaster simulation. The hours of the training are:
- 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm on Friday, May 13, 2022
- 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Saturday, May 14, 2022
- 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Sunday, May 15, 2022
Drawing for an 1000 Lumen Fenix UC35 V2.0 LED Rechargeable Flashlight valued at $89.95Everyone who completes this CERT training event and achieves their certificate will be entered into a drawing for a Fenix UC35 V2.0 LED Rechargeable Flashlight valued at $89.95.
The video below is from Community Emergency Response Team members from California, Florida, and Texas how they come together to prepare their communities and assist their neighbors during emergencies.